Equivalencies Made Easy.
An important part of transferring to a new institution is knowing the number of credits that transferred and how they transferred. Transfer & Transition Services evaluates courses that may satisfy FIUs University Core Curriculum (UCC), which is essentially the first two years of college, or General Education requirements.
Our evaluation process is holistic, and considers everything from course content and sequencing, to learning outcomes and assessment. We also evaluate courses prior to orientation so that we can provide you with an updated Panther Degree Audit (PDA) at orientation. And, because we’ve been building transfer rules for years, many courses actually transfer automatically!
Requesting a Course Equivalency.
- Go to MyFIU and check your Transfer Credit Report. This report is displayed as a table showing each of your transfer institutions and equivalencies for each course. Courses listed as “TRF” (transfer) or “No Rule” do not have equivalencies. We can review these courses if they have the potential to satisfy FIUs University Core Curriculum (UCC) requirements.
- Go to MyFIU and make an appointment with your academic advisor.
- Provide your advisor with course descriptions and/or syllabi from your previous institution’s catalog, and include the catalog’s URL (web address) if found online.
- Course syllabi from countries where English is not an official language must be translated by a certified translator or translating agency. Translations must be accompanied by originals in the native language.
- Check your Panther Degree Audit (PDA) for equivalency updates. In most cases, courses are posted within 1 week; international courses may take up to 2 weeks. If you have any questions, contact your academic advisor or Transfer & Transition Services staff member.