Transfer Orientation

  • Do transfer students have to attend orientation?

    Yes! All transfer students are required to complete both FIUs Virtual Orientation and an in person Transfer Orientation. You will not be eligible to enroll in courses until both orientations are completed.

    Virtual Orientation (fully online) covers important information about your transition to FIU, including key resources you may need during your first term. To access the Virtual Orientation, log into your myFIU account, and scroll down to the “Orientation” tile of your Student Center. Complete the Virtual Orientation by following the activity guide within the “Orientation” tile.

    Transfer Orientation (in person) focuses on transfer credits, financial aid, advising, and registration. You will be eligible to attend this orientation once you complete Virtual Orientation.

    For more information or questions about Virtual or Transfer Orientation, visit Orientation and Family Programs.

  • Are family members/friends allowed to attend the academic advising session with me during orientation?

    No. Guests are welcomed to attend orientation, however, only students and academic advisors are present in the academic advising session.

  • After I pay my enrollment deposit, how do I know what classes to take?

    Once you pay your $200 enrollment deposit, you will need to complete FIUs Virtual Orientation. As soon as you complete Virtual Orientation, you will be ready to register and attend the in-person Transfer Orientation. Here, you will learn more about how transfer credits are evaluated and applied to your degree program, meet with an academic advisor, and register for classes on site.

Transfer Credits

  • Can I have my transfer courses evaluated by my academic advisor?

    Yes. Your academic advisor can facilitate the evaluation of upper-division courses (3000-4000/junior-senior level) since these are evaluated by faculty members in the academic unit. Your advisor can also work with Transfer & Transition Services staff to facilitate the evaluation of transfer courses that may satisfy FIU’s University Core Curriculum (UCC).

  • I see abbreviations in the Transfer Equivalency Database (TED) and Panther Degree Audit (PDA). What do these mean?

    TED is a searchable transfer equivalency database that includes transfer rules from institutions in the U.S., as well as Puerto Rico and Guam. TED shows direct equivalencies to FIU courses, as well as equivalencies to pseudo or “fake” UCC courses that may still be used to satisfy FIU’s University Core Curriculum (UCC) or other requirements. For example, let’s suppose you transfer an art course that FIU does not teach. In this case, you may be awarded ART UCC1, which will satisfy the UCC Arts section. Other abbreviations we use in the UCC include:

    ENC: English Composition
    HUM: Humanities
    MAC: Mathematics
    MGF: Mathematics
    STA: Statistics
    NPM: Non-Pure/Mathematics (computer programming/logic)
    SOC:  Social Science
    GLS: General Life Science/Natural Science
    BSC: Biological Science/Natural Science
    GPS: General Physical Science/Natural Science
    CHM: Chemistry/Natural Science
    ART: Arts
    GRW: Gordon Rule Writing
    FFL: Foreign Language
    TRF: Transfer Course
    ELE: Elective
    UCC1: University Core Curriculum Category 1
    UCC2: University Core Curriculum Category 2

  • Some of the courses I completed at my transfer institution are not in your Transfer Equivalency Database (TED). Will these courses be evaluated?

    Yes. As soon as you are admitted to FIU and pay the $200 enrollment deposit, Transfer & Transition Services (TTS) begins evaluating transfer courses that do not have existing transfer rules and that may satisfy FIU’s University Core Curriculum (UCC). We use the most updated transcript we have on record to do this work. Therefore, it is critical that you send your most recent official transcript to FIU.

    When you sign up to attend Transfer Orientation, TTS reviews any pending courses using updated transcripts. If at the point of orientation, you still do not see these courses evaluated, meet with your academic advisor or a Transfer & Transition Services staff member. You will likely need to submit a course equivalency request. For more details, refer to our Transfer Course Equivalency Process.

    If you transfer upper-division courses (3000-4000/junior-senior level) in the major, those courses are evaluated in the academic unit, and your academic advisor is the primary point of contact.

  • What is TED (Transfer Equivalency Database)?

    TED is FIUs Transfer Equivalency Database, which includes transfer rules from institutions in the U.S., as well as Puerto Rico and Guam. TED is a fantastic resource exactly because it shows which courses have already been evaluated for transfer.

  • Where do I go if I have a question about my transfer credits, specifically, my transfer credit evaluation?

    You can meet with your academic advisor or a staff member in Transfer & Transition Services.

  • How will my transfer courses be applied to an FIU degree?

    Transfer & Transition Services evaluates courses that satisfy FIU’s University Core Curriculum (UCC) and apply those courses accordingly. Transfer courses that are upper-division (3000-4000/junior-senior level) and may meet major/program requirements are evaluated by the academic unit and applied accordingly.

  • How do I know what transfer credits FIU will accept?

    FIU accepts transfer courses from accredited institutions (see accreditation FAQ below for details), including institutions that participate in Florida’s Statewide Course Numbering System (SCNS). A grade of ‘D’ will be accepted for transfer, although it may not satisfy specific requirements.

  • What is the lowest acceptable grade I can transfer to FIU?

    A course with a grade of “D” will transfer to FIU. It is important to note, however, that a grade of “C” or better is required in some FIU University Core Curriculum (UCC) courses, and may be required in courses in the major, including prerequisites. Therefore, even though a course may be accepted and transferred with a grade of “C-,” a student will need to repeat that course to earn the required passing grade.

  • How many transfer credits does FIU accept?

    A maximum of 60 lower-division credits and 30 upper-division credits can be counted toward the bachelor’s degree. These credits must be from institutions that are nationally accredited (see accreditation FAQ below for details), including those that participate in Florida’s Statewide Course Numbering System (SCNS).

  • Will FIU accept my military credits?

    Yes. Credit earned for military experience/education is evaluated based on credit recommendations by the American Council on Education (ACE) included in the Joint Services Transcript (JST). Military credit from the Air Force is reviewed using transcripts from the Community College of the Air Force/Air University.

  • If I have university-level transfer courses from an institution outside the U.S., will FIU award credit?

    Yes. The Office of International Admissions staff evaluates transfer credits from institutions outside the U.S. These institutions must be comparable to an accredited institution in the U.S. To learn more about the admission requirements for transfer students, including the evaluation of foreign credentials, visit International Admissions.

  • I attend college outside the U.S. How can I get my transfer credits evaluated?

    Much like domestic institutions, FIU has transfer rules for courses from institutions outside the U.S. If you need courses evaluated, please refer to our Transfer Equivalency Process.

  • I was told that FIU accepts transfer credits from colleges/universities that are accredited? What does that mean?

    Accreditation is a designation given to colleges/universities that have voluntarily engaged in meeting minimum standards as part of a self-regulation process.

    FIU accepts transfer credit from institutions whose institutional accreditor is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education, Office of Postsecondary Education.

    In Florida, some accredited institutions participate in Florida’s Statewide Course Numbering System (SCNS), which guarantees the transfer of credit. FIU is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).

    If you are unsure about your transfer institution’s accreditation, check your institution’s website, catalog, or ask a staff member in your institution’s admissions or registrar’s office.

  • I'm transferring from an institution that is in the quarter system. How will my credits transfer to FIU's semester system?

    Credits from a quarter system will be divided by 1.5. Therefore, if you completed a course at your previous institution that was 3 quarter credits, FIU will award 2 credits. For FIU’s University Core Curriculum (UCC), Transfer & Transition Services can waive the 1 pending credit to meet a requirement, however, because waivers do not award credit, you may need to complete additional credits at FIU to meet your 120 credits (or more) to graduate.

    FIU semesters (or terms) include Fall and Spring, each over a 15-week period (plus a final exam week). There is also a summer term consisting of three sessions: Summer A (6 weeks), Summer B (6 weeks), and Summer C (12 weeks running from the beginning of Summer A through the end of Summer B). Additional sessions, which have a variety of start and end dates within the Fall, Spring, and Summer terms, are offered for continuing students. Consult the Academic Calendar for registration and enrollment dates and deadlines.

  • If I transfer to FIU with my Associate in Arts (AA) degree, will FIU's University Core Curriculum (UCC) be satisfied?

    Yes. An AA degree from a Florida public institution automatically satisfies the FIU’s University Core Curriculum.

  • Does FIU accept AA degrees from colleges outside of Florida?

    No. However, if the AA is from an accredited institution, FIU accepts up to 60 lower-division transfer credits once we have evaluated those courses. The primary difference between the FL AA and others is this:

    Students who earn the AA from a public college or university in Florida are guaranteed the full 60 lower-division credits and automatic completion of FIU’s University Core Curriculum (UCC) requirements, while all others require Transfer & Transition Services to evaluate their transfer courses one by one.

    Because most AA degrees (General Education requirements) are similar, students generally receive 60 lower-division credits even when the AA is outside Florida. What tends to happen more often is that students may still be missing 1-2 courses from FIU’s University Core Curriculum (UCC) due to differences in requirements.

  • Can I take classes at MDC or BC?

    When FIU is your “home” institution and you wish to complete a course at MDC, BC, or any other college/university, you are considered a Transient Student. Before you decide to enroll in a course at another institution, you must meet with your academic advisor who will review the course(s) you wish to complete at the other institution and determine if it is transferable to your major. You do not want to go through the process and complete a course only to learn that your major will not accept it.

    If you wish to complete courses at another Florida public college/university, you must complete the Florida Shines Transient Student Admission Application.  This process includes a review of the course by your academic advisor. If you wish to complete courses at a Florida private college/university or a college/university outside Florida, meet with your academic advisor to secure a memo or email approval of course transferability.

    If you happened to perform poorly in a course at MDC or BC (or other Florida public college) during your last term, you may return to the state college to repeat that course while also attending FIU. If you are receiving financial aid, make sure to discuss your Transient Student status to determine any impact on your aid, as well as the process to secure aid at the visiting institution. Once you complete the course, submit a final transcript to FIU so that we can include the course on your academic record.

  • What services are available to transfer students?

    All student services at FIU are inclusive, and therefore, can be used by transfer students.

  • Will my transfer GPA be used at FIU?

    FIU considers the transfer GPA in the admissions process. The GPA you earn at FIU is calculated only for grades earned at FIU, including those earned through Dual Enrollment at FIU. If you plan to attend graduate or professional school, you will be asked to submit transcripts from all institutions attended.

ACE-Evaluated Courses

Civic Literacy

Academic Advising

  • Who provides academic advising?

    All transfer students have an assigned academic advisor in their chosen major. You can find your advisor’s contact information and advising schedule on your Student Dashboard. Go to myFIU, followed by PSN (Panther Success Network).

  • What is included in my Student Dashboard?

    Your Student Dashboard includes the Panther Success Network (PSN), which is a set of resources and tools to help keep you on track to earning your degree. 

    • Advisor contact information & appointment scheduling
    • Advisor Notes: Notes from every advising session
    • Alerts: Notifications if you are not making progress toward your degree
    • Messages: Send and respond to messages with your assigned advisor<
    • Resources: MyMajorMatch (Career Assessment) and Panther Degree Audit (PDA) [/su_spoiler]
  • What is my advisor's role?

    Academic Advisors guide students from orientation through graduation. They are your advocates, allies, and great resources! Some of their responsibilities include:

    • Meeting with students at least once per term to discuss progress, opportunities, and setbacks.
    • Understanding and communicating degree requirements and university policies and procedures.
    • Encouraging and guiding students as they define and develop realistic academic and career goals.
    • Providing students with information about and strategies for utilizing services on campus.
    • Monitoring and documenting students’ progress toward meeting goals and completing degrees.

Other Transfer Questions

  • I was dismissed from my previous college or university, can I apply and transfer my credits to FIU?

    If you were dismissed due to poor academic performance (low cumulative GPA), you likely need to improve your academic record. All students must meet FIUs minimum transfer admission requirements to be considered for entry. We recommend students discuss the possibility of appealing the dismissal at the previous institution, which usually includes developing an academic improvement plan with an academic advisor. If this is not an option, students can also consider transferring to one of Florida’s state/community colleges to earn the AA degree prior to applying to FIU. 

    If you were dismissed for behavioral issues or academic misconduct, visit Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution to learn more about what you are required to report on your FIU admissions application and review process.

  • I may need to transfer out of FIU for personal reasons. I plan to apply to another institution and want to transfer my FIU credits. How do I do that?

    Before making a final decision, speak with your academic advisor to ensure that transferring out is the best decision for you. There may be opportunities to complete your FIU degree fully online. If transferring out is the best option for you, then plan ahead! First, research the schools you are interested in attending to learn about admission requirements and deadlines. Second, gather all course descriptions and syllabi for courses completed at FIU as your new institution may need these for course equivalency purposes. This is especially important if you are transferring to an institution outside the State University System of Florida. Third, and last, submit your official FIU transcript to your new institution. Order your transcripts via FIU OneStop.

  • How do I send my official college transcript to FIU?

    Most U.S. colleges have streamlined student requests for official transcripts either via a website or through your student portal. FIU prefers electronic transcripts since it expedites the posting of transfer credits. Below are Transcript Request links for our three largest transfer partners.

    Miami Dade College:
    Broward College:  (See Broward College Transcript Request)
    Palm Beach State College

    If an FIU staff member asked that you submit a hard copy version of your transcript, it means that we are missing important information not available in the electronic version. If this is the case, you can request the hard copy version be sent to the address below. You can also drop off the official hard copy version in its original sealed envelope to FIU OneStop or Transfer and Transition Services.

    Florida International University
    Office of Undergraduate Admissions
    P.O. Box 659003
    Miami, FL 33265-9003