Operation Soldier to Student.
Military credits are reviewed and awarded using the resources below:
- Joint Services Transcript (JST) American Council on Education (ACE) recommendations
- ACE Military Guide
- Statewide Credit or Clock Hour for Military Experience Equivalency List
- Discipline-faculty and subject-matter experts
Transfer and Transition Services reviews military credits as potential equivalents to courses that may satisfy FIU’s University Core Curriculum (UCC). Military credits are included in the Transfer Credit Report under “Military Schooling.” Passing scores on the College Level Examination Program (CLEP), DANTES Subject Standardized Test (DSST), and Defense Language Proficient Test (DLPT) are taken from the JST and included under “Test Credits.”
Students may email firstname.lastname@example.org to appeal credits used to accelerate time-to-degree. Appeals must be based on updated or new documentation. Appeals are reviewed by the Director of Transfer and Transition Services (or designee) and decisions are made in line with University policy.
Most veterans who transfer to FIU do so with an AA degree from a Florida public college. The AA degree:
- Automatically satisfies FIU’s University Core Curriculum (UCC)
- Awards a maximum of 60 lower-division credits applied toward the bachelor’s degree
Veteran and Military Affairs.
FIU’s Veteran and Military Affairs is dedicated to assisting you and your dependents with VA educational benefits. The office is staffed with veterans who have the knowledge and experience to help you understand and meet the certification process, as well as refer you to additional services and resources you may need to thrive at FIU.
On behalf of our team, thank you and your families for your service.